Fun Facts About Large Plastic Cutting Boards Australia
For a long time, wood reigned supreme as the go-to material for cutting boards, until plastic burst into the scene. Over the years, plastic cutting boards have grown in popularity, and the larger they are, the better. If you have been looking for durable and large plastic cutting boards Australia, you have come to the right place.
Here are some facts about large plastic cutting boards and how to choose a good board when out shopping for one.
There are many reasons why large plastic cutting boards are great for both home and professional kitchens. Here are some of them:
- Plastic cutting boards are easier to clean than wooden ones because plastic is not as absorbent as wood. If you cut the meat up on a plastic board, the juice would run off more easily than it would on wood. If you cook a lot of pigmented foods, a plastic cutting board would be easier to maintain than a wooden one.
- Most plastic cutting boards can be cleaned in the dishwasher, unlike wooden ones which would get damaged by the hot water and harsh detergent. It's, therefore, easier to deeply sanitize plastic than it would be for wood.
- Plastic cutting boards are more eco-friendly than wooden ones, as no trees are cut down to produce them. Most wooden cutting boards are made of hardwood, which is harder to replace in the environment than softwood.
- Plastic cutting boards are more affordable than wooden ones.
If you're looking for a cutting board, you probably want one that will satisfy most of your cutting needs. As much as a small, compact cutting board is cute, it will limit you. You need a cutting board that will allow you to cut a number of ingredients at a go without having to keep moving them elsewhere to create room on the board. After all, one can only take so many interruptions.
A large cutting board will also accommodate a larger variety of knives, as you can use both small and large knives on it. A large knife would feel out of balance on a small cutting board as it would keep hanging over the edge.
It's always advisable to get a relatively large cutting board. The average size of 18 x 18 cm and above is a great starting point for a large cutting board. Having a large plastic cutting board has a number of advantages:
- You can cut multiple ingredients and have them at different points of the board. Having all your ingredients displayed in some form of order on the board is useful if you're one of those cooks who tend to forget some ingredients!
- Large cutting boards can act as a platter for serving additional dishes. Some cutting boards come with an aesthetic look for this purpose.
- Large cutting boards are sturdy enough to be used for heavy-duty jobs like cutting up thick cuts of meat and other tough ingredients.
What to Consider When Choosing Large Plastic Cutting Boards Australia
A plastic cutting board should be hard enough to prevent the formation of deep scratches where it comes into contact with a knife. This is because the crevices could become reservoirs of food and dirt, which can be difficult to cleanout. Accumulated dirt in deep cracks on a cutting board could lead to contamination of food.
On the other hand, the board should not be so hard that it damages the knives used on it. A balance between softness and hardness would be ideal for both knife and board.
An advantage of large plastic cutting boards over wooden ones is that most of them can be cleaned in the dishwasher, like the Carl Schmidt HOLSTEIN plastic cutting board w/ marble look 35.5x25.5x0.8cm. This is important as sometimes the board gets so dirty that it needs to be thoroughly sanitized, and the hot water and strong soap in the dishwasher are perfect for this.
However, some plastic boards are so similar in texture to wooden ones that they would probably warp if placed in the dishwasher. They are better off being washed by hand.
If you like to have all your cut-up ingredients on the board and pick them off as you cook, a large plastic cutting board is the one for you. A large board will allow you to have many ingredients on at the same time without them falling off.
A small board is great for quick, small tasks, like cutting up a piece of fruit. If you're short on storage space, a small board is probably the best for you.
Food should remain firmly on the cutting board while being cut, and not slide around on it like a block of ice on the floor. A cutting board should be rough enough to keep slippery foods on and provide a firm base for heavy-duty work.
The KitchenIQ; Edge Board 2 in 1 Knife Sharpener & Cutting Board features a non-slip surface to keep food steady while being cut. A useful additional feature, the Edge Grip, allows you to sharpen straight-bladed knives before use.
Some large plastic cutting boards are designed for other tasks in addition to providing a firm cutting surface. For example, the Carl Schmidt HOLSTEIN plastic cutting board w/ marble look 35.5x25.5x0.8cm can also be used as:
- A sandwich mat
- A plate tray
- A camping tray
Type of Plastic
Plastic cutting boards are great, but watch out for poor quality boards that scratch easily and become rough and shabby after only a few uses. Get plastic boards that have a description of the type of plastic used, as that will prove that it's not just any generic material.
High-density polypropylene plastic like that of the KitchenIQ; Edge Board 2 in 1 Knife Sharpener & Cutting Board makes good material for a cutting board as it is doesn't have pores and is non-absorbent.
A large plastic cutting board is a great, versatile utensil to have in your kitchen. It's affordable, great for your knives, convenient, and easy to maintain. You can never go wrong with one. Here we looked at some of the benefits and uses of large plastic cutting boards Australia so you can easily choose one.
Also Check Out: Pocket Knife Guide - The Different Types & Uses
Explore More Products: Messermeister Restoration Whetstone #400/1000 Grit | Messermeister Royale Elite 3 Pc Starter Knife Set | Messermeister Royale Elite Kullenschliff Santoku Knife 17.8cm (7 Inch) | Messermeister Royale Elite Scalloped Bread Knife 22.9cm (9 Inch)